Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

How to Make a Coffee Bar

My first attempt at guiding you through a craft project. Note to everyone - this might get rough.

Supplies Needed For The Letters:
  • Shelving unit (not needed, I had one laying around, hence the reason for the project)
  • Wooden Letters - size dependant on project
  • Scrap book paper
  • Elmers Glue All
  • Paint
  • Paint Brushes - I prefered and mom recomended the flat edge kind
  • Picture hanger - the letters I purchased didn't have anything to hang them with on the back.
  • Small nails
  • Hammer
How I created the letters:
My wooden letters have edges and layers which made me change my original idea half way through. I bought scrap book paper to cover the letters. However, I traced them with the large side down so my scrap book paper is a little bigger than the actual surface of the letter. Hence where the paint came in. I bought Martha Stewart Muti-surface Metallic Acrylic Paint in Black Nickel, it was an almost exact match to my background of my scrap book paper. I painted the sides and the front with the exception with where I was going to glue the scrap book paper. Once the paint was dry I glued the scrap book paper to the front and, Viola! In case you are a visual learner like me:





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supplies for Bulap Wall Art:
  • Two pieces of wood
  • Burlap Fabric 
  • Ribbon
  • Hot Glue Glun
  • 4 Screws (ours were really tiny to fit the frame)
  • Screw Driver
  • Staple Gun
How I created the wall art:
I had MMR and my mom help me with this one. We found the wood, and burlap fabric at Hobby Lobby. We sawed the pieces of wood in half to make a frame. Then we cut the fabric to fit the frame with a little over hang. I am a big fan of the staple gun, it can hold anything together so we stapled the fabric to the frame. We frayed the edges to give it a little spunk. The ribbon was hot glued to the burlap to hide the staples :) - see nifty- my mom came up with that one. This was super easy and a lot cheaper than buying a canvas like my original idea.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My niece for my birthday got me the cup shiloett for my birthday! She knew I was looking for all things coffee and saw it on Amazon! It goes perfect with the bar! 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Materials for the curtains: 
  • Plain black fabric 
  • Pieces of the burlap fabric
  • Black Thread
  • Sewing machine
How I created the Curtain, or should I say my Mom created the curtain:
We bought the fabric at Hobby Lobby with the Burlap. The original idea for the curtain was to use it on the shelving until to hide what I stored underneath. But MMR has quite the decorating touch and decided we should use them as real curtains which is something we desperately need in more than just the kitchen. See I knew I waited for him to get home to finish for a reason! We measured out the size of the shelving unit and cut that in half to get two panels. You need to make sure to add enough for seams and hems so we left 1/4 inch on the sides and then an inch for the hem. One thing my mom does, actually maybe everyone does, but you have to press the hems and seams into place so it's easier to sew. With the extra burlap we decided to cut out words and coffee beans, fray and sew onto the fabric. 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How we hung the letters:
This was my biggest delemma when I was home by myself. I was nervous that they wouldn't be straight and I wouldn't even get the letter hangers on correctly. But like I keep saying MMR started thinking. So we have this burn pile in our driveway that we just need to burn, and in that was the remnants of our Christmas tree. So we used that, since our house it pretty 'outdoorsy' as an anchor for the letters. MMR used fishing line to suspend the letters, and the way they hang now is better than I ever could've done.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coffee Bar Complete:


No comments:

Post a Comment