Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Race 2 the Summit Re-Cap

I ran the Race 2 the Summit for the second year. MMR and I drove down to Boise and didn't get in until way late, like 12:30AM late. Wake up call was 6:00; needless to say I didn't sleep much, but then again I don't sleep much before races.

My mom drove MMR and I at 6:20 to packet pick-up, she is such a trooper. Horseshoe Bend is about 40 minutes north of Boise, small cute town. I got my packet around 7:00 - everything was right on time. Race started a little late waiting for last minute people. It was a little chilly waiting. I wore my favorite running crops ever and one of my long sleeve tops, which I kept on the whole time.



Going into this race I was pretty convinced that I was going to die running. The hill looked like this, 6.1 miles up with a 1600 elevation change. Those numbers sound intimidating but it actually was not that bad at all. Some parts were steeper than others, but overall it was just a little uncomfortable. I went in to this race thinking that if I hit my time goal, cool, if not that's cool too.


My 5k splits were right on track with goal pace, but I knew that wasn't a deal closer for the time goal. At the turn around I had to use the porta potty :( Someday I will figure those issues out. I checked my splits and for the most part I was on track for having a PR.



The second I got momentum down the hill, I was seriously flying. My splits looked like this:
Mile 7: 10:08
Mile 8: 9:37
Mile 9: 9:37
Mile 10: 9:19
Mile 11: 9:38

Then it flattened, and the real shock came, I was able to keep up my downhill pace...
Mile 12: 9:21
Mile 13: 9:53

I have a new half marathon PR 2:22 average pace 10:54.



Overall I am more than pleased with my race. I had a couple weeks off because of my shin splints. I really hit the hills once MMR and I were home for good. I have some big plans coming up that I will be sharing in the next few days.

I didn't take any pictures while I was running. I used an arm band for my music and it was to much of a hassle to take it in and out. I wish I had so I could've shared with you the gorgeous views.

No comments:

Post a Comment