Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Half Marathon Training for Beginners

I have been running about 15-20 miles/week for about two years now. With everything that has gone on in my life for the last two years (getting married, trying to work full time, go to school full time) that's about all my life/schedule had time for. Right now I am at a good spot in my life to start bump up my training and take is serious for once.

I currently work from home about 25-30 hours/week. I am also studying to be a personal trainer. And have a lot more free time during the day. I will be running my first half marathon on April 6, 2013. It's the High Speed Pursuit Half at the Prison. The race is in Kuna which has a desert terrain. The course circles the prison yard and water tower, sounds kind of dangerous if you ask me. It's not a point to point race so the first few miles are uphill, while the last few miles are uphill : (. Oh wait, I live in the hills, should be cake to train for this ; ). Here's the link if anyone else is interested in running it too!


I found this 12 week training program that I tweaked a little bit. I added a few cross train/strength training days in between my running days, and Sundays will be rest days. A couple weeks from now instead of having two medium length runs/week, I'm going to add a hill workout in there. The hill in this race isn't that bad but I'm also going to try and get a bib for Robie Creek this year, which is just two weeks after the prison run. Aren't I ambitious!! I'm not going to share the link for Robie, only because I will be sad if you get a bib and I dont, or if I get a bib and you don't. Just KIDDING, here it is: Robie Creek

Here's what Week 1 looked like:


Now we are off to get out supplies for the weekend projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment