Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Back to the Grind

Ever since I was a wee little one I was always that person that needs a vacation from a vacation. Today has definitely not been the easiest to adjust. I have planned all week 6:00AM gym sessions, and guess what happened this morning, SNOOZE. I know in the back of my mind I always work out better in the afternoon/evening, but I also know in the back of my mind that starting new habits really aren't that hard, you just need to do it one time! So tomorrow morning, alarm is set, let's see if round two will be successful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some Motivation Monday for you:



I got this one from my Pinterest, but when I go to get the link it's dead.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a two hour work out on the books for tonight, I wanted to break it up into a morning work out and an evening work out, but I flaked out this morning. So instead I plan to doing a 50 minute weights class and then an hour of yoga via Youtube when I get home. I really need to get back into the habit of working out longer than 35 minutes. With that being said I am not against a quick work out at all. The week before we left that's all I did, balls to walls, short and sweet. BUT....in T-13 days I am able to run again, slow glorious miles (yes I understand not all at once). My average pace use to be about 11:00/mile. That is my comfortable conversational pace, which means after one hour I only run a little under 6 miles. I was use to being in the gym or out on the road for a couple hours.

Since my day to start running is a lot closer than I think I have been trying to read as many articles on how to come back stronger than ever. The general consensus is really strength train, core work, and trying to maintain that cardio fitness while you are injured. 

Now I am looking forward to the next step in recovery, moving on and coming back with a vengeance. I found this article about bouncing back: 8 Tips to Make a Strong Comeback:
1. Keep your mileage low. This is something you must remember! I so badly want to jump right in and do 6 miles, but I am honestly going to start with. Slow and steady really does win the race.
2. Keep up on PT - I didn't go to PT but I was given exercises and I do them on both legs. I will continue to incorporate them on the days that I run. For me they are mostly arch strengthening exercises which will always come in handy.
3. Let go of the past. I will not compare myself to my former self ;) - Basically don't judge your present progress on your past.
4. Trust you muscle memory. Don't panic if you want to drop dead after 24 minutes of running makes you want to die. You won't. It will just take a couple runs to get back into the groove.
5. Keep a clear focus. Look at your training plan one day at a time. I'm not even having a training plan. Soon enough I will have races planned and huge goals to crush in 2014. But for now I am just going to keep it simple, and focus on what is right in front of me.
6. Core, Strength and Flexibility. These are so huge! I remember after my first half marathon I wanted to chop the lower half of my body off, mainly my lower back. It's amazing how much the kinetic chain makes you a successful runner. Everything is centered around your core ;)
7. Pay attention to your previous injury. Make sure you are noticing any signs of relapse. I know it will there will be disappointment if I am not ready to run, but I would rather take another week or two off than re-injure myself come February.
8. Positivity and Perspective - keep positive. There is nothing like an injury to test your mental strength. Yes I cursed joggers on Thanksgiving, yes I cursed joggers on Black Friday running off their turkey. Is that very nice, no not at all. This will make me stronger in the end and it will make me a better runner. Remember that!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, MMR has some news for you. He shaved!!!! It has been a little over 16 months since he had his baby face cuteness - yes he is going to murder me for saying cuteness. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment