Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

When to throw it out the window

So for this upcoming race, I've decided to throw my training plan out the window, kind of. I originally wanted to run a couple races before Robie to help give me my grand number of 14 races. I will not be running the two races before Robie. Robie Creek is a beast and I want to make sure I have fresh legs. I got injured the last time I raced extreme hills and I want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

For Christmas I got The Runners World Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon Training. I have almost read all of it and it was really helpful in learning and understanding the fundamentals of running. This is where I picked my training plan to start with, and they have some really good ones in here.

Like I said before, I am switching out speed for hills, but I am also going to play with the mileage. My body hasn't really been eased into running high mileage per week. I've decided that I will keep my shorter runs between 3 and 4 miles. My weekly mileage for this first race will range from 14 miles (last weeks mileage), and the highest will be in a couple weeks with 23 miles. I am working on/doing research on what I should be doing between my races, as June and July are looking pretty busy.

I love following training plans, but I end up getting a little obsessive and negative when I miss a work out. This does nothing for the training process, and quite frankly it makes me not want to race. I will be setting up mini goals each week which will have my workouts I need to complete. There will be no days or dates tied to the workouts. That way I've still planned workouts but still have wiggle room for when life happens. Here's what this week looks like:



Know what else I throw out the window?! Matching socks! I hate that part of the laundry, so I got into this nasty habit of throwing them in bags so I can sort them later. Sunday I caved - they were overflowing, and I realized I needed to stop being a lazy housewife. I matched as many as I could, and downsized to a small bags one for me and one for MMR :)



I have some serious spanish homework and a Papa Murphys Pizza calling my name (thank goodness for college coupons and pennies in the couch cushions because I did not want to cook tonight). Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment